ST JOSEPH'S HOSPITAL
The town of Jirapa has a population of 30,000. Agriculture is the backbone of the district’s economy, engaging about 80% of the people.
St. Joseph’s Hospital in Jirapa serves the town and the local villages. The hospital was founded by the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary in 1949 as a wound-dressing centre. It was converted into a hospital and adopted by the Catholic Mission of Tamale in 1953. It is now under the control of the government. Two training schools originally attached to the hospital are now the autonomous Jirapa Nurses' Training College and Jirapa Midwifery Training College.